Needles, Safety Scissors
The broken needle and Safety Scissors control procedure had been established and control records were also available, but the control practice was not effectively adequate. 1st, the good needle releasing quantity could not be fully traced according to the ‘One in/one out’ policy in sewing workshop. 2nd, the needles were not removed from some unused sewing machines in the cutting room. management strictly follows the Broken Needle policy. Our factory management is able to identify the problems in production due to needle with following the broken needle record. The hand sewing operation was not approved by Tesco Technical Manager. The hand sewing operation was not conducted in a dedicated and quarantined area…
The hand sewing products were not metal detected before release onto next stage. Some scissors were not tied securely on the tables or machine workshops. The labels were not strictly controlled for quantity and security. Based on site observation, the labels were openly stored in workshops and not securely controlled and some labels were lost & damaged on the working table or on the floor. No inspection & records were made for client provided labels.
- Each Operator should only be in the possession of the number of the needles required to operate his/her machine. IQC procedure for raw materials to be established incl. sampling plan, quantity, weight and appearance and no pass/fail criteria. Criteria to be displayed clearly in the area and accept/reject levels must be established.
- There is a designated person in sewing floor to collect and distribute needles. Whenever a replacement is required, the operator approaches the designated person with all parts of the used or broken needle. No relevant inspection records for colour continuity checks or washing blankets done at outside washing plant.
- Non-conforming incoming materials to be clearly identified and segregated.
- Relevant receipt and delivery documents to be clearly identified with receipt date, item name, size, material lot. no. and manufacture no./order number for traceability.
- Factory did not establish lot system for raw materials. No receipt and release documents were kept to ensure traceability of components (such as lining, tipping fabric), this should start with the fabric being released to the cutting section and all the way through to shipment.
- The work instructions, reference samples or specifications should be posted in the workshop for reference.
- Sharp tool policy must be in place and effective. Including records for the use of tag guns and their needles. Any sharp tools should be counted in and out on a daily basis (incl. scissors, tweezers). All tools to be attached to workstations securely.
- Factory to conduct effective risk assessment, identify control points, define accept/reject limits, establish procedure to re-work and dispose of products manufactured outside the acceptable control limits.
- Factory to control these points and establish corrective action in case control point is not under control. Risk assessment to include button pull, metal detector test fail, evaluation frequency for supplier material test report.
- In the event if some parts of a broken needle has gone missing, the correct action plan is to check all the ready garments/parts surrounding that particular machine to ensure that the broken bits of needle has not fallen into the garments/parts or sewn into seams. The next step is to check is to check the area surrounding that particular sewing machine. Any rejected semi-products must be clearly identified and segregated after inspection.
- Tests/Inspection results were not analysed for trends and relevant records were not available.
- Fire Drill was not conducted in quarterly basis by fire service and internal by fire Safety Scissors.
- Designated person only reissues sewers with new needle after the above steps have been satisfactorily carried out. There was no Hot Work Permit program.
- There was no Housekeeping policy and housekeeping schedule for proper housekeeping.
- The facility has 02 (two) pieces (635 kva Per generator) generator. There were no Generator waiver certificates from Bangladesh Energy Regulatory office.
- The facility have more than 700 employee. There were not Established Worker Participation Committee in the facility.
- If the broken needle parts are not found, with big magnet or using Metal Detector it should be confirm. Then the garments/part should through in to disposal box to dispose if broken parts not found.
All parts of the broken or used needle are taped in to the broken needle record form immediately after the exchange has taken place. There were not conduct any Health & Safety Related training in Safety Scissors. There were not found Appointment letter, Service book, Back ground check report in worker personal file.