Fire Fighting Equipment
Combustion caused due to chemical reaction between Oxygen, Combustible material and Heat is called FIRE. It is our one of the most precious gifts from the nature. The civilization of mankind started just after the invention of fire. Now fire has become a part and parcel of our day to day life. We can not think of our life without fire. But sometime such a precious gift can become harmful. It may destroy anything even the whole world.
Basic method of stopping or putting out FIRE is to remove any one of the three components (OXYGEN, COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL, and HEAT) which are responsible in making of FIRE.
The simple method is a) Cooling
- b) Blanketing
- c) Beating
We kow that HEAT is one of the components of FIRE. If we can cool down HEAT then there won’t be any FIRE. This can be don by water or any non-flammable liquid or by use of water type EXTINGUISHER.
OXYGEN is also responsible for FIRE. Therefore O2 has to be removed to put out the fire. This can be done by covering the FIRE i.e. Blanketing. Even Beating effects removes the O2. These effects can be done by the use of appropriate FIRE EXTINGUISHER.
There are four types of Fire:
- Solid Fire
- Inflammable Liquid Fire
- Electrical Fire
- Explosive Fire
We can fight these different types of fires in different ways:
- Solid fire usually occurs on solid materials such as cloths, paper, wood, rubber etc. Normally we can use water to extinguish this type of fire. If the burning material is small in size then it can be removed. We can also put out fire by hitting it with a wet towel or cover it with a wet blanket.
- Inflammable Liquid fire usually occurs in oil fields, petrol pumps, petrol dumps etc. It is very hard to put out this type of fire as because the burning liquid keeps flowing and it burns whatever comes in it’s path. Water should not be used because these types of inflammable liquid are lighter than water and it helps burning the liquid. We should use sand or foam type extinguisher.
- Electrical Fire is caused due to short circuit in the electrical wiring or in any electrical machines. In case of electrical fire we should never use water or water type extinguisher. If any water-based extinguisher used then chances of being electrocuted is very high.To fight this type of fire we should :
- put off the circuit breakers,
- put of the main switch, use powder type extinguisher or Hallon or Carbon-dioxide extinguisher
- Explosive fires usually occur due to explosion of pressurized cylinders. Corrosive Material, Bomb, or Gas cylinders etc. In these cases of this type of fire we should follow the methods as prescribed for 2 and 3 judging the situation.
Pre-caution During Fire
When there is a fire then there is smoke. The burning material gives Carbon Di Oxide. In case of rubber or any other synthetic material it omits carbon mono Oxide. Inhaling of carbon Mono Oxide is fatal. If a person inhales carbon Mono Oxide for more than 20 seconds, he may die. Therefore when there is fire we should –
- Try not to inhale smoke
- Use cloth or wet towel to cover mouth and nose
- Try to stay down towards floor as much as possible
- (If using O2 extinguisher) do not inhale the smoke
- Open all windows to let the smoke out
- Don’t rush together towards the exit
- Move in a line
- Use emergency exits or any available exits
Statement of Fire Fighting Equipment
We have all most all the emergency fire fighting equipment (given below) to fight against fire or to avoid unexpected disaster caused by fire:
1) Fire Extinguisher* 42pcs
(ABC Dry Power -32pcs, CO2 -10pcs)
2) Hose Pipe 1pc(300 feet)
3) Water Bucket** 6pcs
4) Sand Bucket*** 6pcs
5) Fire Hook 6pcs
6) Fire Bitter 6pcs
7) Fire proof Hand Gloves 6prs
8) Stretcher 2pcs
9) Lock Cutter 1pc
10) Axe 1pc
11) Fire proof Blanket 1pc
* Sufficient Fire Extinguishers are available in every floor. These Fire Extinguishers are always checked whether they are in good condition or not.
** Water Buckets are always kept with sufficient water.
*** Sand Buckets are always kept with sufficient sand.
Fire Fighting Team
We have a fire fighting team. There are 26 specially trained firefighters in that team. They know very well that what should they do at the time of emergency. Beside the fire fighting team all the workers have been made conscious about fire. There is a fire-fighting meeting in every month according to the training and meeting schedule of the